Friday, July 23, 2010

POSTAGE PROBLEMS WITH FRANCE? ITEMS NOT RECEIVED?

French Postage Trends

I have sold items to France and the rest of the Worldforquite a while now. About 18 months ago I noticed a trend where French customers seemed to claim more frequently than any other nationallity that items had not been received.


Over the last year I havebeen keeping a close check on items that have been claimed tobe undelivered with some startling results.My records indicate that 16% of French customers who boughtfrom me reported that theiritem was not received, this includes 1 'signed for' recordeddelivery.Possible reasons for this could be:



I was just unlucky
The French may have the worst postal system in the World
The items were delivered but reported as not

How can you get round this:



Send all items recorded delivery to France
Stop selling to France

After France, I found the next worst place to send items is Holland with 3% reported as not received followed by Belgium and Argentina on 2%. Internal UK postage had just 0.3% reported as lost in the post. USA, Australia, Germany and rest of World less than 0.5% combined losses.


Changes in trends.

I have noted that since E-bay changed the feedback policy(sellersno longer leave negative or nuetral feedback) items reported as not delivered havegreatly escalatedto all destinations in particular Western Europe.I have given more refunds for this reason overthe last 6 weeks (since this came into force) than over the previous 18 months. Sadly, I find myselfshifting towards a'Seller'policy where by all items will have to be sent by recorded delivery regardless of value.


Update on Recorded Delivery Outcomes

As of 10th Sepember I have been sending all items by recorded delivery for about 2 months- since shifting to this policy zero items reportedas missing.......and yes this does include items sent to France.......conclusion- RECORDED DELIVERY SOLVED THE PROBLEM AND BUYERS DON'T SEEM TO MIND PAYING THE EXTRA COST.

No comments:

Post a Comment