Friday, July 23, 2010

HOW (NOT) TO LEAVE FEEDBACK i.e. HOW TO COMMUNICATE

I received my first negative feedback as a seller. I could have asked the buyer to have it mutually withdrawn. I didn't. I didn't because I have not done anything wrong. I didn't because I believe the buyer had put himself or herself in a worse light than what they have done to my feedback score. So this red mark has been left there, tainting my previously 100% positive feedback. Left there to remind me how I can (possibly) better myself as a seller and buyer on eBay. To remind me that unfortunately, there are uncommunicative and unreasonable eBayers out there. And finally to remind me that you should never judge an eBayer just by his or her feedback score.


Communicate! Communicate! Communicate!

Some eBayers jump to conclusions and leave feedback without first considering communicating with the seller, or buyer. A lot of issues are usually due to misunderstandings, miscommunication or just simple mistakes. In this age of ultra-fast electronic communication, we have actually forgotten to communicate effectively. If in doubt, ASK! If unhappy, get a refund! If all else fails, then leave your negative feedback.



My negative feedback: Product much smaller than expected. Trial sizes?

The same buyer left similar feedback for 2 other sellers. It is annoying that this buyer had failed miserably to firstly read the listings and secondly to communicate with the sellers. All three listings clearly stated product volume and that they were all travel or sample sizes. So this buyer, in his/her ignorance and inability to grasp what 5ml might look like, decided not to communicate their self-inflicted dissatisfaction and left negative feedback without further concern for the consequences to the seller.



If you bought an item in a retail shop and upon returning home, realise that there is a problem. What do you do? Sue the shop? Report them to the police or set fire to their business? None of the above. You call and let them know that there is a problem. The retailer should in turn try to sort it out. So why is it that some eBayers take the first opportunity to shoot the seller down?



First neutral feedback: buyer mistaken the product number as use-by-date!

Again, no communication, but neutral feedback at the first chance. My second neutral feedback didn't make sense as the feedback reads positively. The third was based on individual preference the buyer didn't like the smell of Molton Brown Celestial Maracuja Body Souffl. Unfortunately I don't make the stuff. If you don't like the fragrance, don't blame me for it. Most recently, I had a neutral because the package sent through Royal Mail was ripped open and the product was stolen. The buyer received the padded envelope and my note enclosed. However, since the buyer had chosen not to pay the recorded mail option (including insurance), I was somehow expected to refund or replace the stolen item. The buyer was obviously unhappy, but was I to blame for it?



So the state of my feedback score is 99.6% with 4 neutrals and 1 negative. Does that make me a bad eBayer? Based on my other positive feedback, I let you be the judge of it.



Feedback Etiquette? Use Common Etiquette instead.

There are as many bad sellers on eBay as there are buyers. I've come across scams, dodgy items inaccurately decribed, fake products, you name it. At the same time, I've also come across unsavoury buyers: Fake bidders who don't pay, buyers who don't even read the listing (due to panic bidding), etc. However, these are a minority. The majority are people just like you and me.



Instead of talking (and/or obsessively counting) feedback scores, try talking to the other eBayer. Don't panic buy read eBay listings properly. If in doubt or unclear about the item listed, email the seller. Ask for further description or pictures. If that doesn't work, DON'T BID. If you do, you're gambling, taking a risk. If you've won an item, but you're unhappy with it, try contacting the seller and work it out. Most sellers have a refund policy. However, if you don't like your winnings or purchase based on your personal preference, then don't blame the seller because they didn't force you to bid.



Sellers should list items clearly and concisely. Be as honest with your description as possible. A sharp picture of the item is always appreciated. Blurry images (in this day and age) are not an excuse! If you are prepared to sell on eBay, then be prepared to help buyers with their questions, even if you have been asked a thousand times. If you have been asked the same question a thousand times, then perhaps you should have placed the information in your listing.



Feedback is not be all and end all

If a buyer or seller has a feedback of 95%, give them the benefit of a doubt. If it is 55%, then perhaps I'll avoid them like the plaque. Feedback can be faked, feedback can be left in retaliation, feedback can also be left in revenge. So before you judge an eBayer by their feedback score, perhaps you should take time to read the feedback and find out what happened. And next time, before you decide to leave a neutral or negative feedback, try communicating with your fellow eBayer instead. If it doesn't work out, you can always leave the negative feedback later.

And finally, enjoy your eBaying.

No comments:

Post a Comment